Monday, April 4, 2011

(Not so) Secret Millionaires

To calm my jitters prior to chemo round 4 on Friday I decided to jump online and watch a little junk tv - an episode of the Secret Millionaires.  Have you seen it?  A millionaire gets sent to somewhere in the country to live and do volunteer work for a week in an impoverished place (subsisting on the same amount of food money as someone would have on welfare that week.)  At the end of the week they give away a gob of money to the folks that they have met that are doing good.  Don't know if it was the prednisone coursing through my veins or just life in general but that dang show had me crying all the way to chemo - in a good way that is...I mean who wouldn't want to give away fistfuls of money to people who are feeding the poor, training young people to build houses, or sweet people who endure dialysis everyday for years on end? And listen, the surprised gift receivers are bawling, the millionaire is weeping, it's a whole give-alot-get-alot fest!!  I've been thinking how part of my reaction has a whole lot to do with my life right now.  I have so many not so secret millionaires surrounding me at  home, work, through email, text, the phone and mail...people giving, giving, giving to me all the time.  I got jazillions in love and support coming my way.  People ask me how can I be so strong on this quest and I think how can I NOT be strong with the super net of folks behind me all the time.  Why if I leaned back just a little there are all kinds of hands holding me up.  If you think things don't matter that you do, even little things, they matter.  Prayers, candles lit, a shout out down the hall at work (can you imagine working at a place where people yell down the hall that they have a cold and can't come close but they love you and think of you???), an arm around my shoulders or a squeeze, a text, an email, a card, a pot of soup, a hat, a poem, a special treat in the mail, a good thought my way, an errand run, research done on my behalf, a meal shared, a hand with a project, flowers on my desk...the list seems endless.  How can I possibly give back all that is being given to me???  I got a lot of doing to do to fling back to the universe all this glorious bounty...I better get cracking.
Endless love,
Mary
P.S.  The Chief Lymphoma Researcher in Residence found online that if I take my prednisone in two doses throughout the day that it lessens the emotional and physical impacts on me...awwww, now that's how you spell r-e-l-i-e-f...much better...

No comments:

Post a Comment