Saturday, April 16, 2011

Calamity (Mary)Jane Meets Kindness and Good Fortune...AGAIN

Thursday afternoon Gloria and Ernie rolled in from Houstonland...and after a nutritious snack of locally made Gelato I deposited them at their hotel for a couple hours. My right eye seemed to have a big floater in it - which happens to us near sided folks from time to time. The next morning the floater was still there along with a gelatin looking something in my eye and little gray specks. Katie and Kelley had been to an eye doctor in Salt Lake this fall so I gave his office a call and explained my circumstance (including, of course, the chemo routine.) They graciously offered me an appointment an hour and a half later...nice peeps for sure. When I met the doc he told me to call him Bob. After a nice long review of my eye he advised me that I had a tear in my retina that needed laser surgery. He even included Glo and Ernie in on the review and they were ready to adopt him before we were done.  He called a retina surgeon who generously offered to see my at 5:30 that evening to fix it up. He assured me I would be ok but that we needed to fix things up as soon as possible. Bob, now my friendly eye doc for life, said he would show me where the retina doc's office was located. Looking out the window he said,"See that building with the 2 on it?" Me,"Yes." Bob,"That's not the office...but it's my favorite joke." From down the hallway his staff shouted out,"It's not funny." Bob was cracking himself up over the non-joke joke...Anyway at 5:30 pm the retina doc and his able assistant de-germed their office for me and then lasered the tear closed after numbing my eyeball. He said that it might be uncomfortable during the laser procedure - but when I asked if it would be like a bone marrow sample he laughed and said no. I sure know a lot about the anatomy of my eyeball now. The floater was blood from the tear. Apparently the blood thinner I'm on aided in this episode - maybe the chemo as well. A little strange to be blind in the eye for a few minutes after the laser but a great feeling to have sight restored. All I can say is  who are these wonderful people???  They whisked me into their offices and without a hitch fixed me up according to what I needed, not according to their schedules...so cool. In addition, they were just plain kind and you can't over rate kindness on any count.  I did coin a new phrase for Bob -I said I had a sblob in my eye. He figured that was a combination of a splat and a blob. I told him he could use the phrase in the future. Anything to help the human race further the world of medicine. Anywho - enough fun for me for awhile. Robyn told me to show some sign of weakness so the Universe will quit piling it on...I ain't saying "uncle", no how no way (but if you're listening Universe enough already.)
Yours with an eye to the future,
Mary

1 comment:

  1. AAAAHHH Mary so glad that you have good people around to help even when the Universe isn't listening. I think Bob needs to get a joke book from the Easter bunny. :o)

    ReplyDelete