Friday, April 22, 2011

Five Strawberrrrry Shortcakes....(crashing noise to follow the announcement)

Those that remember the early days of Sesame Street will recall a baker that would announce a number and then tumble down the stairs with the same number of baked goods he was carrying being tossed everywhere. Well here are the five strawberry shortcakes that tumbled my way yesterday during Chemo #5:
1. My sister Denise (better known as the "Pixie Packer")and my wild and crazy Cuban brother-in-law Emilio came to visit and to tour the chemo bar with me. After a prednisone inspired breakfast of delish pancakes (and Denise making me a lunch including a tuna sandwich that did not have too much mayo and did have pickles chopped up in it) we headed over to the scene of the crime. The Packer gave me a lovely hand rub while the poisons were starting to flow and Em took on the other hand (tho he rubbed it like he was sanding a piece of wood...good try Em.) Just as I went into benedryl la-la land they took off - but only after Em whispered in my ear that he had ordered a book for me that we had been discussing and I wanted to read. They were off to their beautiful daughter Mimi's college graduation. I was jeal to not be a part of it but was happy that I had enjoyed the pleasure of their company since Wednesday afternoon. And yes, the visit did include me jumping into bed with my sissy and Em tolerating the tradition.
2. Canoe Schaefer rearranged her school schedule and gave her students at the UofU a day off so she could dote on her mother at the chemo bar. She handed me bits of lunch to stave off the nausea, gave me a foot rub, rubbed my shoulders and even put my shoes on for me when it was time to go. Everyone at the chemo bar (that were still awake) looked on longingly for some of the same treatment for themselves.
3. Since it was not my regular chemo day (usually Friday not Thursday) there were two new chemo nurses. Paula, the mighty force on Fridays, was there doing her usual greatness. Tammy who I didn't know deftly placed the needle in my port and when it came time to have my after chemo shot to boost my immune system she wisely suggested having it in my belly versus my arm. It's always stingy in the arm, and I now know that there is a purpose for belly fat...not a bit of ouch occurred. Also had the kind service of Joan who turns out is in the Masters Degree Program that my darling Ryan Rasmussen (chemo counseling texting muse)attends. Great peeps - Joan says "doctors cure and nurses care" although I think the nurses do both.
4. The Chief Researcher in Residence held the fort at chemo as well, only leaving to run errands for me. After chemo he suggested a soft ice cream cone, which is the preferred snack by most chemo patients following treatment (yep, the research showed this). It hit the spot. When we got home I shared my tumbling array of side effects about every five minutes with him, and he told me one of the side effects of chemo was patients telling people their issues every five minutes and wearing people out...and I laughed really hard. Then he made me a cup of the most wonderful tea that I have ever tasted.
5. Em and Packer watched a bit of the movie called 500 days of Summer after we dined with kids Wednesday night (thank you Em and Packer for the divine fruit custard tart from The Bakery). My favorite scene from the movie is when the guy gets the girl and the next day as he is walking to work everyone smiles at him, bursts into dance, fountains spray, and a blue bird of happiness comes and lands on his shoulder. Em said that is what he witnessed when he was at the City building with me, people shouting greetings, high fives, and hugs from all I met. That is why the bluebird of happiness followed me to chemo even when I felt crappy. The bad stuff passes but the bird stays perched on my shoulder.
ANNNNDDD...as a bonus to the Five Strawberrrry Shortcakes, Allyce (my once upon a time weight lifting pal, exercise partner, and now treasured friend) sent this ode to five via email after chemo:
"I was thinking about you today and rrrround 5. I strangely thought of the number 5 and here's what I got...high 5...$5 footlong Subway's...5 little monkeys...a hello wave...talk to the hand...and come closer so that I can slap you. Good-bye round 5...and rest well Mary.
P.S...I met you in YOUR 5TH decade, and this is the last one. I STILL can't do 5 of Jill's 'perfect form' push-ups...) Now I'm done thinking about the number 5." (And in case you can't tell Allyce is a Preschool teacher - so she really knows her numbers!)
Five down three to go,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment