Saturday, April 30, 2011

I Thought It Would be More Like Going to the Spa...

I thought (let's be honest, HOPED) going through chemo would be more like going to the spa...and since I've only been to one I had high expectations. On my 50th birthday my sibilings sent me to the Four Seasons Hotel Spa. While some nice spa person attended to my "situation" I would lay back and read a book, flip lesiurely through a magazine, or watch all my favorite movies while I grazed lightly on whatever food tickled my fancy. At the least I hoped it would be a respite from my daily routine so that all those minor, but annoying, home projects and activities got caught up on...sigh...sigh...Well here's to dashed hopes and chemo reality. Today I decided to not follow my now established post chemo morning rituals and found myself crumpled in a lump in bed. The Chief Researcher offered help but I knew what needed doing. He asked what sounded good to eat (nothing sounded good.) Too tired to read, fell asleep during a movie (twice, but what's new), and NOTHING sounds good to eat (ridiculous.) Whah, whah...ate anyway, took some aleve, finished watching the movie (thanks Mar and Carl) and took number two nap of the day all before 10 am. Food has a different meaning when you're counting grams of protein (need to eat 60-90 grams per day.) Gross - but I always feel better when I get protein in the system. Couldn't face eggs this morning so I opted for a PBJ (2 pieces of bread 8 grams, 2 tablespoons peanut butter 9 grams) and milk (1&1/2 cups of milk 12 grams.) And just think, there's a protein shake to look forward to later...ewwwww...

No comments:

Post a Comment