Friday, July 1, 2011

Take Small Steps and Drink Lots of Water

Yesterday I felt truly awful...and none of my usual tricks seemed to help.  I don't know if it is the cumulative effect of the drugs, or because I'm worn down or because it's the last chemo and I gave in to it.  Probably a little bit of everything.  I wanted to just cry and cry- but it did not provide any relief.  I am on course for hitting the low point of the chemo and the Chief Inspector asked if it was worse than other times...it was really more of the same which always seems worse in the moment.  The Chief Researcher suggested getting up and moving a bit to try to get the toxicity out of my body.  I trundled off to work to put things in motion.  The mighty Frank left on Wednesday for Sweden to join Maja and the grandbabies at their hideway on the beach and leaving me with possession of his condo across the street from the office.  Heavenly for sure - and totally saving my bacon.  Genius left for Boston on Wed. as well.  The Chief Researcher and the Fab Four  minus Genius swooped in and finished moving her stuff and cleaned her apartment without a squeak of complaint.  (You can see why they retain the title of fab.)  Perhaps yesterday also had to do with all the packing and cleaning and goings on from Wednesday as well (I say Watson, I believe that is called a CLUE.)  Lisa came up to my office to assist with the rescue in the morning and brought me lunch to boot helping me get through a good portion of the day.  I asked Orion, who is the wild man of the department climbing and ascending every ridiculous point in the state and beyond (and who runs or rides in to work everyday from a monumental distance from work) how do you get through the end of a difficult long race.  He knew the answer right off the bat.  Take small steps and drink lots of water.

Am taking small steps and drinking lots of water today.  But a lot of big steps have been taken and they should be noted:
Chemo DONE
Genius MOVED
and Vonnie has passed through the door.  I feel her right behind my shoulder smiling and nodding.

Allyce wrote me a chemo cheer last week and I liked it alot:

Rrrrrround 8 Cheer
Ready, go.
Give me an M (flexing your bicept Muscles, think of Jill's beauty pose)
give me an A (10 side pullups touching your toes...Ahhhh!)
give me an R(Running in place, higher Mary)
Give me a Y (Mary:Y Allyce, stop whining!)
You can do it Mary!  Yes YOU CAN!!! (arms rolling up above the head and TADA)
She also told me that "sorry your door is closed...and I took the key and threw it away.  Far away in the Pacific Ocean."  Darn straight got that right Allyce.

So back to small steps...Sounds like good advice all around.  Will small step my way through the weekend and look forward to one more chemo week down - and one more week of side effects ahead.  Yep, yep I'll drink to that. Lots and lots of water.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment