Saturday, July 30, 2011

Secret Agent

When Dr. Chemistry first declared "go" on the race for my cure, I had the perfect visualization to take me there. It popped in my head right off the bat - the Fly Lady! My friend Lovely introduced me to her a few years back. With wings and a wand she knows how to clean house in a jiffy. She lives by the "fifteen minutes a day" adage for bringing all sorts of cleaning chaos into a place of serenity and order. I imagined her hauling her bubble gum pink vacuum to my colon to plug in and get to work. Her first visit caught her by surprise - her cheeks went red and her head started to spin (there was ALOT of cleaning to do) but she got her composure back and said fifteen minutes a day would get 'er done. Everytime I had chemo I could imagine a big layer of ash all over the place - which was a delight to the Fly Lady! She would set to work, whistling and singing her way through the muck. When her vacuum bags got full she would look around, check to see if anyone was watching, and then chuck them down the sewer. Whenever I drank the white barium for a scan she would clap her hands with glee and declare "Fresh Paint"!! I liked listening to her work like a little elf in the garden picking and plucking the bad and leaving only the good stuff.

Last week I googled the "Fly Lady" to learn more about this merry little maid. Marla Cilley, the real life fly lady started out with that name because she was into fly fishing but it evolved into "finally loving yourself". Doesn't that make perfect sense. And the Fly Lady has three rules she lives by:
1. Don't sweat the small stuff- what doesn't matter, doesn't matter.
2. Laugh every day - even if it is at yourself.
3. Love like there is no tomorrow.

I knew the Fly Lady was the one for me - her rules are as right as rain in my book. Thanks for being there little winged wonder. You did me proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment