Friday, June 10, 2011

My Tribe

Today was the Pink Heals event...which was truly amazing. As exhausted as I felt the adrenaline was pumping when I saw everything going on this morning. The beautiful B, Travis ,his wife Melissa and their darling little girl Harper, and Paul's sweet daughter Elise(8 years old and who I have fallen in love with instantly) all donated their hair for cancer patients. I gave them all a kiss and in my heart wished forever goodness on their lives. After the dispensing of my grandma style kissing Susan F. showed up and handed over a 14 inch hank of curly locks like she'd walked off the Tangled set just minutes ago. And Jess - my darling friend Jess - led a Zumba dance with a motley crew of Firefighters, and police officers, and assorted other good sports. You bet I danced too. A complete Zumba dream come true. And there, admist the pancake eating and fire truck signing and the tail shaking and the hair shearing something really super big happened. It first happened when the Fire Chief and I hugged each other tight (he just had surgery for cancer in his colon and I should note we are now sporting twin hair dos) and when Cray's Mom Elaine (47 year cancer surivor) and I held hands while our picture was taken. It happened when I circled up with Frank and Maja (my boss and his spouse who took cancer on at the same time) and when I caught Joel's eye at the event (a recent cancer grad). And Mike from the Police Department who just overcame Hodgkin's Lymphoma - it happened when we couldn't stop talking to each other in terms like, go, fight, win and how it has changed the whole course of his life's mission. I realized that I was part of a tribe - a big beautiful tough courageous tribe. My dear heart friend John, who passed away from non-Hodgkins lymphoma in 2005, use to tell me how nice it was when you recognized someone from your tribe - like there you are! Where you been? This cancer tribe exudes love and good wishes and kindness in ways you can't imagine - even when you have never spoken a single word to each other. It's like there is this alternative universe that I didn't even have a clue existed. To the tribe everywhere I would like to thank you for welcoming me with open arms. When I first got diagnosed, Susan M. from work (a two time cancer champion and bone marrow transplant winner) sought me out and filled me with good stories, enthusiasm, and cheer. I didn't realize then that she was the Welcome Wagon Committee Chair for the tribe. But I'm so much smarter now. Maybe I'll be assigned as the Door Greeter for the tribe. I'm ready. And if this tribe is in to tattoos mine would read "forever yours" and I would be proud to wear it knowing the getting is far more than I can ever give back.

No comments:

Post a Comment